Thursday, October 27, 2011

Feta Recipe

This cheese has more of a mildly tart flavor than typical feta.The HUGE difference with this recipe is that I did not use goats milk, rennet tabs or yogurt. It is a great cheese to make if you have some milk that is bordering on expiration. By this, I mean milk that is within 1-2 days of expiration. By no means am I advising anyone to use milk that is a week old. Ew.

5 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
Sea salt
Cheesecloth, stainless steel or glass bowls

In a saucepan, bring 5 cups of whole milk to a boil.
Remove the saucepan from the burner and add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar.
Stir until you see the curds begin to float to the surface.
Place a large glass or stainless steel bowl under a strainer lined with cheese cloth, pour the contents of the sauce pan into the strainer. (You will want to reserve the whey for storing the cheese.)
Bring the edges of the cheesecloth together and gently squeeze the curds to remove more of the whey.
Tie the ends of the cheese cloth and allow to air dry for roughly 2 hours. I used the knobs on my kitchen cabinets to hang the cheese cloth and simply placed a plate underneath to catch any excess liquid.
After 2 hours, you will see that the cheese curds are firm and hopefully dry!
Pour some of the whey into a quart sized container, about 2 cups or so.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of sea salt and any other spices and/or herbs to the whey and add the dried cheese and store in the refrigerator for at least 5-6 hours before use.
I drained the curds AGAIN and simply crumbled the salted curds and stored them back in the fridge.

This is extremely unorthodox in comparison to other recipes I've come across, but it worked fine for me and I hope that someone will try it out and let me know how it goes!

Also, the photo above is straightforward ricotta filled ravioli, sauteed rutabega and chopped spinach garnished with the feta cheese I made using this recipe!

Good luck!

NOW PLAYING: Painted Palms - All of Us by rocksteddie

No comments:

Post a Comment