Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vaniller Puddin' Y'all!

Around 11:30 pm or so, I did what any normal person does and I went downstairs to cook something(s). I remembered that there was some souring milk, so I put that on simmer with some white vinegar and left it to curdle so I could make cheese while I made vanilla pudding. After straining the whey from the curds, I whisked up my pudding, threw it in the fridge to cool and quickly set out to make cookies because I was going to make banana pudding at midnight. I am so awesome all the time!


Since I am mean and in the middle of writing a cookbook, I will only give you the recipe for the vanilla pudding. If you're a fellow foodie, you will recognize this as being an almost straightforward pastry cream recipe. The difference is that I am fantastic and added some flare for kicks.


Tasty Vaniller Puddin'
(We're in the south.)

2 cups of whole milk
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1 large egg
3 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vanilla vodka

Bring 2 cups whole milk to a simmer.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk sugar, egg, salt, and vanilla vodka.
VERY slowly introduce the hot milk to the whisked mixture.
By VERY slowly, I mean a tablespoon at a time until the mixture becomes runny.
At this point, you can add the rest of the milk.
The point of that painstaking process is to avoid lumps. No lady lumps, humps or bumps. This pudding has class!
Now for the fun part! Put everything back into the saucepan and stir, stir, stir on medium heat until the mixture thickens.
Don't you dare write me telling me you burnt it! Be careful, watch the heat and for the love of God don't stop stirring! Get all up in it! Use a spoon that is capable of getting in and around the bottom of the pan.
Once the mixture thickens and is pudding consistency, after about 3 minutes, remove the saucepan from the burner and add the butter.
Of course you'll need to stir it!

Transfer the hot, gorgeous, SMOOTH mixture to a glass or stainless steel bowl and cover with plastic. I always like to make sure that the plastic is in DIRECT contact with the pudding. This keeps the pudding from forming a crusty layer, or 'skin'. I know. Gross. So make sure the plastic is t-o-u-c-h-i-n-g your beautiful pudding.

Most recipes that you'll find will tell you to strain the mixture. That's for losers! People that read my blog and make my food are winners. M'kay?

Have fun and tell me what you did with your puddin'!

NOW PLAYING: Here we go magic - Backwards Time by hanskilledwildcat

No comments:

Post a Comment